Planning the story of my film has been a challenge. I found an issue that I really wanted to highlight in my film. The theme of wild horses and their continuous struggle that dates back years is such a powerful narrative. After all of my research, I am certain that this is the narrative I am going to evolve my animation around. I came to the conclusion that a good way for me to portray the narrative would be to use a voice over. I recently watched Black Beauty, throughout the movie the narrative is a voice over of the horse. It was a really effective way for the director to portray how the horse was feeling to the audience. It also gave the film depth, I think without the voice over it would have been difficult to understand what was happening.

As I was starting to think about a script, I wanted to include as much of the information I had found out as possible. From the wild horses being free, to the issues with the BLM, the round ups and the horses capture. I think that including the majority of the information creates an emotional narrative that will touch on the important factors. I decided the best way to portray the information in a way that wouldn’t be too heavy, would be through the use of a poem. It took me a long time to find the ideal poem, but after endless days searching, I came across the perfect one.

I found an emotional yet beautiful poem that touches on every part of the story that I am telling. I think there is a nice story arc to it as well, the poem begins positive, to negative and ending hopeful. After our workshops based on story last year, I now understand how important it is to have a story arc within your narrative. If you don’t, it is difficult for the audience to become emotionally invested. Most of the successful short films I have watched over the Christmas holidays all have a story arc.

Image result for story arc

I came across a short film called ‘ Alike‘, that has a clear story arc, which makes it so successful. The story starts off with the exposition making it clear whom the characters are and what is happening. We then witness a problem appear and it starts to get worse. Next there is a point of climax, where there is a turning point in the story. The problem starts to get better and we witness a resolution. This simple narrative structure has worked well for many years and is used in mostly all story’s around the world.

Bibliography:

Alike. (2016). [film] Directed by D. Martínez.

Reedsy. (2019). What is a Narrative Arc? • A Guide to Storytelling Structure. [online] Available at: https://blog.reedsy.com/narrative-arc/ [Accessed 15 Jan. 2019].