I have finally completed and submitted my film for the Children’s Society. The last few weeks have been a manic rush to try and get everything finished in time. Considering it is my first short animation, I am very happy with the standard of it. I am pleased that I concentrated mainly on the character animation rather than spending too long creating a complicated story line. I believe the simple story line has worked in my favour.

I have learnt a lot about my workflow during this term, which I believe is going to be very helpful for next term. Approaching this project at the start was difficult. I found it hard to create a production schedule as didn’t really know how long I would take to animate, colour and edit. However, now I have more of a clear idea of how long I take to complete each process.

It has also made me realise that simplicity is key when you have a short time period to create an animation. If I was to do the project again, I would have created a simplified character design and background design. I would have stuck to black and white with a simple line drawing background. I intend to spend more time on the character design and layout design in my next animation projects.

I also have realised the importance of detailed character sheets. Although I spent a large chunk of my easter holidays designing my characters. I should have spent longer drawing out specific character sheets, including the colours and heights of each character.

Character Sheets

Half way through the project at the second crit, I had to redesign my male character. The tutors suggested that he was too elderly to represent the childrens society. With this in mind I discussed the issue with the childrens society. We agreed that it would be better to design him with a younger face. Which I was happy to do, I wanted to make the client happy. From this experience, I have learnt that I should try and get my character designs approved by  the client as early as possible.

Overall, I am very pleased with my progress throughout my first year. I have come a long way from a newbie animator to creating my first short film. I am so thrilled that I have learnt so much in such a short space of time. Over the summer I intend on spending more time learning Maya. 3D animation really excites me, I have really enjoyed learning 3D with Kevin. However I haven’t had enough spare time to practice and feel confident with the software. I am hoping that I can master Maya over the summer so that I can complete my next two films in 3D!